Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Where God Has Placed Us

This blog actually comes from my missionary friend Jennifer in China. You can keep up with her via her blog at http://www.xanga.com/jenmusic.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Good news - it's 75 degrees right now!!! I was outside earlier, wearing sunglasses (that gets even more stares, BTW) and enjoying the sunshine. I really wish I could post pictures, you should see this. It's beautiful when spring comes to our little corner of China.

So the other day I was walking to meet some students for lunch, and something happened. It's happened before, but every time it does it's really strange. I was walking along, listening to my iPod and looking around, when all of the sudden I thought, "I live in China! I live in China? No way! That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard!" That's pretty much the internal monologue, verbatim.

Does that ever happen to anyone else, when you're somewhere and doing something and you think, "This is impossible. I can't really be a mother/work in an office/be a clown for Ringling Brothers/insert your choice here"? It's so bizarre when that happens.

But it's not a bad thing, I think. Aside from the momentary disorientation, it was good to be reminded of the privilege and excitement of living and working in China. I remember when I first came and just stared at all the signs in Chinese, and now it's so commonplace I barely look anymore. Well, I'm looking again, and feeling the wonder I felt when I first came. I'm very thankful that Father refreshes us when we need to be refreshed, and sometimes it happens just by remembering where he has put us.

Have a great day - zaijian!

No comments: